Thursday, October 1, 2009

october 1

So, I’m here! After a rapid series of days in Philadelphia, traveling, and in a retreat center in a beautiful part of Ukraine, I’ve made it to my host family in Chernihiv. Over the past few training days, we’ve been informed of all kinds of policies, norms, and possibilities, and had training on security, health, and a very small bit on language. Now, our large group has been broken up into clusters, meaning a set of several Peace Corps Trainees [we’re still not Volunteers until we’re done with Pre-Service Training and sworn in] are in each of many different communities across the region, living with separate host families. Each cluster is supported by a language teacher and a technical trainer, who will work to help us develop our skills during PST.

I’m typing this up on my first night, but hopefully I’ll be publishing this tomorrow at a wifi spot in Chernihiv. It’s a pretty decent sized place, with about 350,000 people, but I really can’t tell you too much about it yet, other than my host family seems great! I am living in an apartment in town with a mother and one of her two daughters, and have had a pleasant time, eaten good food [veggie burgers from scratch, a cabbage-based salad, and potatoes with sour cream, plus watermelon, and a fruit tea/ compote—yum!], and shared lots of pictures.

Well, another day later, and I’m ready to post! Lots of language learning and the start of some technical training. We’re learning to find our way around town… sort of… We’re also discovering how many people speak Russian and Ukrainian, even mainly Russian, which makes for a few challenges in trying to pick up the language swirling around in an exotic and exciting wave. The leaves in town are changing, and the fall air is crisp and fresh. We’re being kept very busy, and even though I do feel mostly adjusted to the change in time zones [+7 hours from the US], I’m definitely ready for bed as soon as the opportunity is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment