Sunday, January 24, 2010

post 24 january

The temperature was –25 C earlier today, and that was when the sun was out. Now, it’s dark, and it’s time to catch you up! :)

Next was the wildly entertaining holiday tradition of shchedrivky, of which you’ve already seen some pictures and video. Then, a trip to Kyiv for a swine flu vaccination.

Here’s a quick question and answer: Is it Kiev or Kyiv? According to the Kyiv Post, an English-language news source, “Kiev, although very common, is a transliteration from Russian, while the state language is Ukrainian.” So there you go. :)

Anyway, in Kyiv, I met a few PCV friends, ate some good food, and walked around a lot. It was really chilly, but we still got to see several things. A few of us stayed in a hostel, not too far from the circus building, and we saw [mostly from the outside] lots of museums, Shevshenko University—which is extremely red!—ice, snow, and more! There are lots of different parts of Kyiv, with lots of different styles of architecture, many of which can be placed in the “really cool” category. Due to a red-meat craving from one of our party, four of us ate at McDonalds, which I am pleased to report was, as I had been told, better than any McDonalds in the US. How and why? I’m not sure. Really, though, I think that was the best ketchup I’ve ever had. Also, although I’ve never had one at home, I had an apricot pie, too. Apparently in the US, these are baked, but here it was something like deep fried and it was crispy and delicious!

This trip also involved me successfully buying round-trip train tickets, catching each train on time [one while the whistle was blowing, one well in advance of such a warning], and navigating a number of challenges, many of which required maps. I was disappointed to discover that a very promising store did not, in fact, carry either lentils or peanut butter, but this simply means that more adventurous explorations are still to come!

Back in Lutsk, I’m now tutoring three different individuals, and am continuing to work on the history book translation project. There are still two weeks left before the next semester begins, but I’m hoping to find out more about my new teaching schedule soon. Also, this Friday, I’ll be giving a presentation for a local NGO about the importance and role of active citizenship in the United States. Scheduled between the first and second round of elections, this talk is part of an effort by NGOs nationwide to encourage citizens to take part in democracy and to vote according to their opinions and values.

Also, I finally got to see the castle in Lutsk! It’s old! and big! and cold! Well, it might not be cold all the time, but it was when I was there! Inside, there’s an art museum, a book museum, a bell collection, the remains of an ancient church, cannons, and a giant chess set! While friends were in town to spend the night before the regional Collaborative meeting, we visited the castle and a nearby Catholic cathedral, in which there were probably equal amounts of Polish and Ukrainian language, plus some German. The pipe organ is quite impressive, as well, but apparently even more so when it’s played. :)

Last night, after dinner at a local restaurant that serves really good food and 90s music videos, I got to see a YMCA holiday concert, too! Yes, that was the 23rd of January, but it was still cool! Apparently a variety of factors delayed the presentation, but clearly a great deal of practice went into it! The YMCA here isn’t the large, fitness-based building I might have imagined, but it’s more like some rooms in a big rec center with healthy and positive programs for young people. The concert was cool, with all kinds of dance, from hip-hop to near-ballet, and from traditional to very avant-garde, as well as singing, skits, and all kinds of entertainment.

Oh! and my oven’s been certified as usable! and I got an oven rack!!!! :)

Today was the first meeting of the film club at the local Windows on America library. We watched JAWS, and eight people came! With no way to know in advance what kinds of English skills participants might have, we chose a very visual movie, and, along with supporting vocabulary and discussion questions, I think the first week was a success!

Plus, I’ve been in touch with some relatives in Ukraine—through emails, letters, phone calls, and text messages!—and I’m looking forward to meeting with them, once it’s a little warmer, I’m a little better at Ukrainian, and I’m more confident in traveling.

And I got my ears pierced! Imagine!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Ketchup and fried apricot pie? Oh man! The excitement around work is McD's oatmeal which, while made from individual packages, is mixed with diced fresh apples, raisins, golden raisins, dried cranberries and maple syrup. Will stick with homemade with cinnamon & a prune or two.

    ReplyDelete